Skip to main content
Open Repository Theseus gives you online access to theses and publications from Finnish Universities of Applied Sciences.
Upload your thesis to Theseus (as a PDF file) after it has been completed and your instructor has approved it. When you upload your thesis to Theseus you give the permission to online publishing.
Can't publish online?
Deliver two paper copies (one bound + one unboud) of your thesis to the student services instead of uploading your thesis to Theseus if:
- Thesis has been written in cooperation with other persons or as a commission for an organization who do not allow the thesis to be published online.
- Thesis is in a form that doesn’t allow it to be published in electronic form.
- You don’t want to publish your thesis in electronic form.
More information: https://oma.metropolia.fi/opiskelijoille/opinnaytetyo-ja-kypsyysnayte
“All rights reserved” means that you will retain the rights to your work in accordance with normal copyright legislation.
You also have the opportunity to share some of your copyrights with the users of your thesis by adopting a Creative Commons licence. With a Creative Commons licence, you can inform other users of what they are allowed to do with your work. You can, for example, allow them to copy, share, display or present your thesis or modified versions of it and to obligate them to reference your name as the original author. You can select a Creative Commons licence when you own all rights to your thesis or you have permission from the owners of parallel copyrights to use the licence. Read more about Creative Commons.
Please note before uploading
- Upload your thesis to Theseus after it is ready and approved.
- If your thesis has been written as a commission for an organization, please make sure that all parties agree to the publication of the work in an Open Access online environment.
- Remove all personal contact information like addresses, email address and phone numbers.
- In case of several authors, each of you should give permission for the publishing, but only one of the authors uploads the thesis to Theseus.
- Convert your thesis into a PDF file (max. size 150 MB). Name the file Surname_Forename, for example Student_Steve.pdf.
- Make sure all the details are ok:
- Dates are the same on the cover and on the abstract pages.
- All the appendixes mentioned in the index are included or there is a note of a sort if they are excluded from the public version.
- Page numbering and appendix numbers are working.
- Go to Theseus submission page > Upload your thesis.
- Choose Metropolia University of Applied Sciences from HAKA login box and click Login.
- Select Metropolia ammattikorkeakoulu > Opinnäytetyöt from Collection dropdown menu.
- Before your theses can be published you have to grant the distribution licence. Check “I Grant the Licence” -box from the bottom of the page and click Next.
- Write author(s) and click Add. If there is more than one author, do the same thing again.
- Enter your email address that you will use after the graduation.
- You can define how you will allow your work to be used. When uploading a thesis to Theseus you can
- reserve all rights to the thesis OR
- use a Creative Commons licence to define the way you wish your work to be used. More information on Creative Commons
- Choose the level of the thesis from the drop down menu.
- Choose field of education from the drop down menu.
- Write the name of your Degree programme (and specialisation).
- Write the name of the thesis. Separate the possible subtitle with a colon (Title : Subtitle)
- Generate URN-identifier for your thesis by clicking “Hae URN-tunnus” link.
- Choose the year of completion and language of the thesis.
- Select subject terms from the list based on suggestions. Add one term at a time.
- Add the abstract of your thesis.The abstract can be typed in or copied and pasted. If you are copying from word processor which use spelling, please remove the spelling from pasted text before copying to Theseus. In case you want to save an abstract with another language, you can use the same function. Click Add!
- Write the name of the orderer or commissioner. (Not mandatory)
- Fill in the duration of attached mp3 or mp4 -file in full minutes. If necessary, round to nearest minute.
- After filling in all the mandatory fields (marked with *) click Next.
- Click Choose File. A new window will allow you to select the file from your computer. Be sure to select the right PDF file.
- Click Upload file & add another.
- Click Next.
- Check that everything is ok.
- Click Complete submission.
Your submission will now go through the review process for this collection. You will receive a confirmation email after we have checked the information related to your thesis and it has been published in Theseus. This message also includes the URN-address. You may also check on the status of your submission by visiting your submissions page.
How do I convert my thesis to PDF?
Your work needs to be uploaded in PDF format.
Please, read instructions here >>
If your work includes an mp3 or mp4 file you can upload it as a separate file. Fill in the duration of the appendix in full minutes in the corresponding field.
You can bring audio-visual material to the library on a CD. In this case you should add a comment on the location of the separate appendix to Theseus metadata when uploading the PDF file.
When you select keywords to your thesis we recommend that you use:
LCSH (Library of Congress Subject Headings)
MeSH (Medical Subject Headings)
If you have any questions concerning Theseus please contact us at theseus (at) metropolia.fi
Metropolian kirjasto- ja tietopalvelut | Metropolia Library and Information Services