Skip to main content
How to convert your thesis into a PDF file
The thesis should consist of a single PDF file. It is easiest to convert your thesis into a PDF file, if it is one complete text file including the whole content, report etc.
You can convert a Word document into a PDF file in many ways. In Word for excample:
- File > Export > Create PDF/XPS
- File > Save As > Save as type: Word Document
- File > Print > Printer: PDF-XChange Printer
Name the file using the format of Surname_Forename, for example Student_Steve.pdf. The characters allowed are 1-9, a-z, A-Z, _, - and space.
Merging PDF files using PDF-Tools
If your PDF files are still separated, you have to merge them. You can use for excample PDF-Tools which can be found on every computer in Metropolia.
Here are the instructions on how to do it:
- First convert every single file to a PDF file as described above.
- Open PDF-Tools -program: Go to Start menu and write to the search window below: PDF-Tools (or simply PDF) and choose PDF-Tools.
- When the program opens choose: Split/Merge and click "Start".
- Add each separate PDF file to the desktop (choose Add). Click "Next".
- Select Method to Group pages in Target file choosing the default settings and click "Next".
- At Preview and Edit the Documents List -page you may edit the target document by moving, copying, removing or re-ordering pages using drag&drop. Accept the target document by clicking "Next"
- At Setup PDF -page you may do some other modifications, but do not use PDF Security. When finished click "Next".
- At save Setup -page specify the destination folder, where you can save your complete PDF-file and give the destination file name. Name the file Surname_Forename, for example Student_Steve.pdf. The characters allowed are 1-9, a-z, A-Z, _, - and space.
- Complete the task by clicking Finish. The program will combine the files and then opens the thesis with Adobe Reader.
If you run into problems when converting your document into PDF or uploading your thesis into Theseus you can always send us email: theseus [at] metropolia.fi.
Metropolian kirjasto- ja tietopalvelut | Metropolia Library and Information Services